Can U.S. Immigrants Receive Supplemental Security Income?

December 6, 2013

The federal government offers assistance to citizens who are permanently disabled through programs such as Supplemental Security Income (SSI). However, a common question is whether individuals living in the United States who are not citizens can receive the same benefits. The Supplemental Security Income Lawyers with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin explain that the answer to that question is yes, if they meet certain requirements.

The Social Security Administration states an alien may qualify for SSI if they fall under one of seven categories, as well as meet other conditions.

The categories of qualified aliens include those who were:

  • Lawfully Admitted for Permanent Residence (LAPR)
  • Granted conditional entry under the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA)
  • Paroled into the United States under the INA for a period of at least one year
  • A refugee admitted into the United States under the INA
  • Granted asylum under the INA
  • Having their deportation held under the INA
  • A “Cuban or Haitian Entrant” under the Refugee Education Act of 1980

These individuals must also:

  • Have been living in the U.S. and receiving SSI on August 22, 1996
  • Have 40 qualifying quarters of work
  • Currently on active duty in the U.S. military
  • Have been lawfully residing in the U.S. prior to August 22, 1996, and are blind or disabled

The law firm’s attorneys recognize how complex the qualifications for Alien SSI Benefits can be. That’s why the firm suggests discussing your case with an attorney if you are considering applying for SSI benefits.

Reach out to a Terre Haute Personal Injury Attorney Today

The financial burden that often comes with a serious injury can be too much for many people to bear. Unexpected medical debt, damaged personal property, and the sudden loss of income can impact the budgets of most families. The good news is that a successful injury claim could help reduce that financial strain after a serious accident. Get in touch with a Terre Haute personal injury lawyer with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin to learn more.

    *You agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy, and you are providing consent to receive communications including calls, emails, and texts.