July 9th, 2014|
If there’s one thing in life that can be expected, it’s that the unexpected will occur. Each year, millions of Americans are afflicted with an unforeseen injury or illness that leaves them unable to work and without a source of income. Luckily, programs like Social Security Disability benefits and Supplemental Security Income exist to assist those with a disability during their time of need.
You may be asking, “What does the typical disabled American of today look like?” A release from the Center for American Progress takes a glimpse into these demographics and finds a few interesting common factors amongst those who are receiving Social Security Disability benefits. They include:
- The average monthly payment to a Social Security Disability recipient is $1,140 per month.
- Most beneficiaries are terminally ill, with one in five dying within five years of being awarded benefits.
- Mental impairment is the most common disability that is reported in the United States, accounting for 31.8 percent of all claims that are approved.
- Roughly 70 percent of beneficiaries are between the ages of 50 and 60 with the average age of a Social Security Disability recipient being 53-years-old.
- Most Social Security Disability benefit recipients have a lower income and a physically demanding job.
If you’re suffering from a condition that has left you unable to work and struggling to make ends meet, help is available. At Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin, our team of Social Security Disability lawyers can help you navigate the Social Security system to get the benefits that are rightfully yours. Contact us to speak about your case anytime by calling (866) 684-7216 or by completing the free online consultation form on our website.