Getting Married? Better Tell the Social Security Administration

by Staff | February 15th, 2012

This is a popular time of year for proclamations of love. Such displays of affection can be as simple as a heart with a “be mine” message or as life altering as an alter vow, according to Your Daily Journal.

If you happen to be a newlywed who is head over heels in love, you may not be focused on things such as taxes or Social Security, but you should be.

If you plan to exchange your maiden name for a married name–including hyphenated names such as Smith-Jones–be sure you let the Social Security Administration (SSA) know.

If the Internal Revenue Service and Social Security records do not show the same name and Social Security number, this could delay your Federal income tax refund.

Telling SSA about your name change shortly after your marriage will help them accurately keep track of your earnings and will ensure that you and your family get the Social Security retirement, disability, and survivors coverage you’re entitled to.

If you continue to use your maiden name consistently throughout your working years, you do not need to contact us. However, if you decide to change your name later, you should let SSA know.

Changing your name with Social Security is a quick, easy, and free service. Just go online to

Read more.

If you or someone you know needs help with Social Security Disability benefits, contact the Social Security Disability lawyers at Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin.

Connect With Our Attorneys Now