When Is a Car Accident Not a Driver’s Fault?

After a car accident, most people assume either one driver or another is at fault, but this isn’t always the case. Studies show that driver error is responsible for 90% of crashes. So who’s to blame the other 10% of the time?

When the Government is Responsible

Poorly maintained roads or defective highway designs may be responsible for causing traffic accidents. In these cases, the government agency or agencies who manage those roads can be held liable for victims’ injuries.

Examples of governmental road design and maintenance negligence may include:

  • Inadequate signage, lighting, or road markings
  • Obstructed intersections
  • Poorly designed merge lanes
  • Lack of guardrails on sharp curves
  • Insufficient barriers between opposing lanes of traffic
  • Lack of proper drainage resulting in frequent hydroplaning or black ice
  • Hazardous road debris or potholes

If you believe your car accident was the result of negligent road maintenance or design, contact the Indiana auto accident attorneys at Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin.

When a Vehicle or Parts Manufacturer is Responsible

Vehicle parts manufacturers who produce defective car parts or improperly install them can also be held liable when their negligence causes accidents and injuries. These are considered defective product/product liability cases. If a one car accident occurs and the driver was operating the vehicle as intended and obeying traffic laws, a defective vehicle part may be the cause of the crash.

Examples of components that may be affected by a manufacturing defect may include:

  • Ignition switches
  • Steering columns
  • Airbags
  • Accelerators
  • Electrical systems
  • Seat belts and seatbacks
  • Tires
  • And more

If you suspect your car accident was the result of a faulty component, check for any recalls listed for your vehicle’s year, make, and model, and contact the legal team at Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin.

Serving Car Accident Victims in Indiana and Illinois

When drivers make mistakes behind the wheel, they should be held accountable for the injuries they cause. The same is true for other responsible parties. If you were harmed in an auto accident that was caused by another person’s or party’s negligence, you deserve maximum compensation for your injuries.

After a car crash in Indiana or Illinois, contact Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin. We’re not afraid to stand up to large manufacturing companies or governmental bodies when their carelessness causes harm to victims like you, and we want to help you get the compensation you deserve. There’s no cost or obligation to get started, and we’re available 24/7. Call us today for a free case review.

Reach out to a Terre Haute Personal Injury Attorney Today

The financial burden that often comes with a serious injury can be too much for many people to bear. Unexpected medical debt, damaged personal property, and the sudden loss of income can impact the budgets of most families. The good news is that a successful injury claim could help reduce that financial strain after a serious accident. Get in touch with a Terre Haute personal injury lawyer with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin to learn more.

    *You agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy, and you are providing consent to receive communications including calls, emails, and texts.