Terre Haute Motorcycle Accident Lawyers Discuss New License Endorsement for Motorized Bike Riders

by Staff | April 10th, 2015

One way the state of Indiana works to keep motorists safe is through the regulation of operating a vehicle. One type of vehicle that seemed to avoid these regulations for many years were two-wheeled cycles equipped with small engines. The Terre Haute motorcycle accident lawyers at Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin explain that now though, the state has created a set of laws for who can operate these motorized bikes and how they should be operated on the road.

According to an article from Greene County Daily World, Indiana has created a new class of motorcycle license. The Class B license must be acquired in order to operate a motorized bike that’s equipped with an engine 50 cc’s or smaller. Carriers of the Class B endorsement must carry a valid drivers license, learners’ permit, or an unexpired Indiana-issued state identification card that also holds a Class B MDC endorsement.

Class B operators must be at least 15-years-old and must drive near the shoulder of the road unless passing another vehicle or turning left. Class B motorcycles are also not allowed to travel faster than 35 MPH and cannot operate on sidewalks or the interstate system.

Motorcyclists carrying the new Class B endorsement must also adhere to other motorcycle laws, such as wearing a helmet if you’re under the age of 18, utilizing headlights at all times, and refraining from texting and driving.

At Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin, we are aware of how complicated the laws surrounding licensing and the operation of a vehicle can be. That’s why our Terre Haute personal injury attorneys encourage you to reach out to us if you have any questions regarding motorcycle driving and safety regulations by calling (800) 477-7315. We’ll be more than happy to provide you with the answers you need!

Connect With Our Attorneys Now