How Supplemental Security Income Can Help if Your Loved One Is Disabled

by Staff | March 30th, 2015

There are millions of Americans who are unable to work because of a disabling condition they suffer from, but not all of those individuals are work-age adults who have paid into the Social Security Disability benefits system long enough to collect compensation. In fact, many are children who have been afflicted with their condition all their lives.

Having a disabled family member can provide a unique set of financial hardships, which is why the Social Security Disability lawyers with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin believe it’s so important to have a plan in place for how you will cover your loved one’s medical and personal expenses. Today, we’d like to offer several tips on steps you can take to establish such a plan for the future:

  • Apply for Government Assistance- Several federal programs provide assistance to the disabled. If your child suffers from a disability, you may qualify for Supplemental Security Income (SSI). While Social Security Disability benefits are only awarded to United States citizens who have worked and paid into the system, SSI is typically given to any disabled adult or child who has limited income.
  • Start Saving Now– Last year, a bill was approved that changed the amount of money and assets a disability recipient could have at any given time. The Social Security Administration states the ABLE Act allows disability recipients to keep up to $100,000 in a special account with no tax deductions. Previous law only allowed the disabled to have as much as $2,000 in assets at any time.
  • Get Help- The laws that govern disability benefits can be complex and difficult to navigate. Speaking with a legal representative can help clarify the questions and issues you may have regarding your claim.

We hope these suggestions help you on your way to financial freedom for you and your family!

Connect With Our Attorneys Now