indiana texting and driving ban

Are Indiana Drivers Really Safer With Texting Ban?

by fst | October 12th, 2011

October 11, 2011

Since a texting ban on Indiana drivers took effect earlier this year, it would seem, that with only two tickets being issued for infractions of the law in Vigo County in more than three months, Indiana drivers are safer because of the law. Some Police department officials and citizens are saying the law is too difficult to enforce, and that that is the cause for low ticket numbers.

According to the Tribune-Star, the county’s two tickets were issued July 9 and September 12, The first at 1:00 AM on Third and Washington Street and the second at 8:00 AM on Third and Walnut Street. Both violations were classified as Class-C Infractions that carried a $120 fine for a first time offender. While the law has obviously raised public awareness of the dangers that texting while driving poses, many feel the law would be more effective if there was a better way to enforce it.

As of now, Police cannot look at a potential violators phone to see if messages were being sent, and texting cannot be the reason an officer pulls the vehicle over. Therefore, all a driver would allegedly have to do is exit message mode or turn off their phone before being pulled over to avoid a ticket.

The Indiana Auto Accident Attorneys with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin would like your opinion. Has the law been effective in reducing drivers participating in the act, or are drivers just hiding it better? Tell us what you think on our Facebook page.

Indiana Man Crashes Car While Texting and Driving

by fst | July 6th, 2011

July 6, 2011

A new Indiana law banning texting while driving went into effect last Friday, and the Indy Star reports that authorities ticketed one of the first offenders after he drove through building in Richmond, Indiana.

The accident occurred around 12:30 PM Tuesday, as the 21-year-old driver headed south on Chester Boulevard. The young man told police he was texting and driving when his Chevrolet sedan crossed the center line into oncoming traffic and jumped a curb. The car went through the front wall of a medical equipment company, traveling about 50 feet through the building before smashing through the other side. A witness told police that the vehicle was going “pretty fast,” and she initially thought the driver was having a seizure. Luckily, no one was injured in the accident. The driver was ticketed for operation of a handheld communication device while operating a mobile vehicle, making him one of the first individuals to be cited under the new ban.

Distracted driving has become a leading cause of vehicle fatalities in recent years, killing as many people as speeding and drunk driving.

If you or someone you know has been injured in an accident caused by someone else’s distracted driving, contact an Indiana Auto Accident Attorney with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin immediately.