What Benefits Are Disabled Children Eligible For?

July 31, 2013

For many Americans, a mental or physical condition leaves them unable to work and with limited resources for income. A large number of these individuals have suffered from their condition since childhood as well. This leaves many wondering, “What government benefits, if any, are available to children with disabilities?”

Regulations only allow for individuals who are over the age of 18-years-old and who have worked a certain amount of time to receive Social Security Disability Benefits. The only way a child can receive such benefits is if they had a parent who was disabled and that parent dies.

Children may be eligible to receive Supplemental Security Income (SSI) from the federal government though. The requirements for a child to be awarded such benefits include:

  • The child must not work and cannot earn more than $1040 per month
  • The child must suffer from a condition that places them with “marked and severe functional limitations”
  • The condition must persist for at least 12-months or put the child at risk of death

The Social Security Administration released a statement saying an application for SSI benefits could be filed online or in person at a local office. However, the Supplemental Security Income Attorneys with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin explain that the documentation needed and process of filing such a claim can be quite complex. That is why the firm suggests discussing your case with an attorney if you are considering applying for SSI benefits.

Reach out to a Terre Haute Personal Injury Attorney Today

The financial burden that often comes with a serious injury can be too much for many people to bear. Unexpected medical debt, damaged personal property, and the sudden loss of income can impact the budgets of most families. The good news is that a successful injury claim could help reduce that financial strain after a serious accident. Get in touch with a Terre Haute personal injury lawyer with Fleschner, Stark, Tanoos & Newlin to learn more.

    *You agree to our Terms and Privacy Policy, and you are providing consent to receive communications including calls, emails, and texts.